Tuesday, June 8, 2010

If I Ran a Plant...

I would audit it. I would audit the operations, the personnel, the business climate, the business forecast, the hiring forecast, or even the shutdown schedule. And, at the very base of every one of those audit items, I would have a check-off box for training.

Because, if I don't have a workforce trained to do their jobs in a safe, productive and efficient way, I should close the doors. Many plants are doing just that now. Shutting their doors. For all types of reasons. And, even in that process, equipment and facilities left un-maintained are of little or no value, either for salvage or re-use later.

Because, if I don't have a workforce trained well for their tasks, I can't run an efficient operation. And, I can be selfish. If I can't run this thing well, why should anyone want me to run anything? But, everybody on the team benefits when the machine runs right.

Because, if I need to hire new people, I don't have time to wait for them to "get it." We need help now to keep this operation in form. Bring me trained people...or give me a way to get them trained...quickly and economically. Training is a faith...and great plant managers put their faith in training. Source it in, or source it out. But, source it!

Call an expert in facility maintenance training today! Here's one: 303-718-1365!

1 comment:

55 gallon steel drum said...

Couldn't agree more. I've always said, "give me 5 great workers over 10 average workers".

We finally stopped hiring people with industry experience. Too many bad habits to break. We started looking for highly motivated people who could be easily trained.

That's when our productivity really took off.